Well, on Sunday night, I suffered my first ever case of food poisoning. And I tell you what, it was not pleasant, though not as horrendous as I had always imagined it to be. I thought that you threw up repeatedly for hours on end, but that didn’t happen to me thankfully. But lest I gross you all out with vomit stories, I’ll just move on.
Given that I live in Japan, there are any number of foods that might have given me food poisoning, and I’m sure that you’re all fairly certain what did me in. Maybe you’re thinking raw fish or some other kind of crazy seafood like sea urchin, or maybe you’re even thinking that it was wasabi. If you’re thinking that, you’d be absolutely wrong! You know what got me sick? It was KFC, or Kentucky, as it’s so called here. As Steve told me, the fact that it was chicken that did me in is just classic.
I mean, for real, who gets food poisoning from KFC? I just had a chicken wrap, nothing dangerous in that right? Wrong! So, I was absolutely sick on Sunday night. At first I thought that I might have gotten the flu, so I went to bed around 8 and tried to sleep it off. Jen came home around 11:30. I told her that I wasn’t feeling well, and the first thing she asked me was if I had thrown up. Well, the answer at that point was no. But no less than 20 minutes later, the answer became yes.
The best part of the whole story is that Jen had a slight panic attack at this point. She was talking to her mom, but just hung up on her with no explanation. Then she decided to go to the convenience store for me to get some sick person essentials. And when I finally made my way back to my room, I found a mail on my phone meant for her mom, explaining why she had hung up. And when she came back, she told me that she had had no idea what to do, so she called our friend Rex. Well, Rex had no idea what to do either, so he tried to call his mom…in the States! And when she didn’t answer, he called our other friend in Japan, who’s Korean, who I’ve only met twice. So, people across the world were alerted to the fact that I had food poisoning. But Rex’s only advice was actually an offer to take me to the hospital if I needed to go.
Thankfully, I didn’t need to make that trip to the hospital, though I did have to call off work yesterday. Food poisoning is not a fun time, but I’m glad that it wasn’t worse than what I had. Oh, the hijinx that occur when you get sick in a different country. And I am never eating KFC again…in any country!